21 August, 2014 / Shawwal 24, 1435

RAWALPINDI, Sept 21: A report submitted to the prime minister by a joint investigation team is reported to have said that a lone suicide bomber carried out the deadly explosion at the Marriott hotel on Saturday.

The investigation team, comprising experts of the Special Investigation Group and intelligence personnel was headed by Federal Investigation Agency Director General Tariq Perveez.

The team visited the blast site after midnight and collected evidences, including a CCTV footage.

The report suggests that 600 kgs of high-intensity explosive material, RDX and TNT, were used in the attack. It said that the one vehicle used by the suicide bomber hit the security barrier when it was stopped for security check. It caught fire and exploded with a bang.

A bomb disposal expert said the attacker might have used “delay switches” which detonate explosives at intervals.

Since the hotel is located near several important government buildings, security had been tightened and guests and vehicles were subjected to strict checks.

After the explosion, five bomb disposal squads were kept at standby in Rawalpindi to cope with any eventuality.

Seven of the people injured in the blast were brought to the Benazir Bhutto Hospital in Rawalpindi, while one died on way to the hospital.

Four of the injured were taken to the Holy Family Hospital where one of them died late on Saturday night.

One body is lying in the mortuary of the district headquarters hospital.

More From This Section

Comments (0) (Closed)