Pakistan, US blamed for attack in S. Waziristan

Published Mar 18, 2008 12:00am

WANA, March 17: A pro-government militant commander accused the Pakistani and US forces on Monday of carrying out Sunday’s missile attack on a compound of a house in the Shah Nawazkot area of South Waziristan. The attack left nine people, inclu/ding some foreigners, dead.

Maulvi Nazir’s spokesman Mita Khan, who won the support of the government after launching an armed campaign against Uzbek militants, termed the attack a joint operation of Pakistani and US forces.

“We believe that Pakistani security forces and Americans had carried out the attack,” Mr Khan said, adding that the ‘Mujahideen’ would soon avenge the death of their comrades.

Officials said that nine militants had been killed in the attack, while local people put the death toll at 18.

Some unconfirmed reports say that a doctor of Arab origin who frequented the compound was among the dead.


Do you have information you wish to share with Dawn.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or narrative to share, or reach out to the Special Projects Desk to send us your Photos, or Videos.

More From This Section

Most Popular

Comments (0) Closed