QUETTA/ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s top judge has taken suo motu notice on reports of the discovery of mass graves in Khuzdar district of insurgency-hit Balochistan.
At least thirteen bodies were recovered last week from two separate graves found in Tutak area of Khuzdar, said to be one of the most sensitive districts of the province.
The corpses, most of which were decomposed and beyond recognition, were discovered after a local shepherd reported to security personnel the discovery of bones, body parts and the possibility of a suspected grave in the area.
Chief Justice Tassaduq Hussain Gilani on Saturday summoned the Inspector General of Police in Balochistan and Deputy Commissioner Khuzdar on February 4 and has ordered them to submit a detailed report on the incident.
The chief justice took notice on a statement by the Voice of Baloch Missing Persons (VBMP).
Earlier, the Balochistan government said it had formed a judicial commission to launch a probe into the discovery of the 13 corpses.
Balochistan High Court judge Justice Noor Mohammad Muzkanzai was appointed the head of the commission.
According to a statement issued by the Balochistan’s Interior Ministry, the commission would submit its report in a month’s time after conducting the investigation.