KARACHI, May 31: The founding chief of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement, Altaf Hussain, on Saturday assured residents of Landhi of expeditious justice and said those who had been subjected to terrorism for the past 12 years would feel the change.

In a telephonic conversation with the party activists of the Landhi sector, Mr Hussain lauded the courage of the residents of the so-called no-go areas and asked party leadership to pay special attention to solving their problem.

FAROOQ SATTAR: Campaigning for the NA-255 seat in bye elections, Dr Farooq Sattar, deputy convener of the Muttahida Qaumi Movement’s coordination committee, on Saturday promised that residents of the area would be freed from the clutches of what he called “terrorists” who had usurped their rights at gunpoint.

Visiting Muttahida’s unit 83 and other areas in Landhi, Dr Sattar, who is the party candidate, said that if the contest was kept free, fair and transparent, his party would register an overwhelming majority.

Dr Farooq Sattar met residents, many of whom, including women, narrated the alleged excesses committed against them by Haqiqi activists. After meeting them Dr Farooq Sattar told the accompanying newsmen that after a long time people of the area had heaved a sigh of relief and their fear was gradually going.

He claimed that after 12 years, residents of the area, who had been taken hostage by the “terrorists”, were feeling free. In view of the response of the residents, he felt the Muttahida had won the battle for the hearts and minds of the people of the area.

He said those who had made the people suffer, created a state within the state and there was no writ of the government.

He said that in the Oct 10 elections Muttahida was deprived of two seats through manipulation. One of them had fallen vacant for which the elections would be held next month.

Dr Farooq Sattar demanded of the government to ensure that those who were involved in terrorist activities should be apprehended and those who wanted to carry on their political activities should be allowed to do so without any hindrance.

He made it clear that the announcement of the Rs10 billion grant for eradicating no-go areas had nothing to with the bye- # elections. He also promised that problems of the people of the area would be addressed expeditiously.

More From This Section

Comments (0) (Closed)