Press Trust of India quoting a hospital spokesman reported that the 90-year-old actor had been admitted to the intensive care unit of the facility. — Photo by AFP
Dilip Kumar was admitted to Lilavati hospital on Sunday after complaining of chest pains and now TOI has learnt that the thespian did suffer from a silent heart attack, which caused the scare. A source from Lilavati hospital told this newspaper that the actor who is currently in the Intensive Care Unit will be under watch for the next 48 hours, which are critical to his health.
"Cardiologist Mushtaq Mullah was summoned to his Bandra home on Sunday at 7.30 pm after the actor complained of uneasiness and vomited after having a cup of tea. After an ECG, it was found that he had suffered from a silent heart attack, this type is characterised by a lack of recognisable symptoms like accute chest pains," said the source.
The source added that since his admission in the ICU, the 90-year old was able to consume food and he is currently not on an intravenous drip or the ventilator. "He is able to talk a little and he ate too but the next two days are critical for him," added the source. Currently, the 91-year old veteran is under the supervision of Dr Nitin Gokhale, who is attached to Lilavati Hospital. Meanwhile, the hospital's spokesperson released a statement saying, "Mr Dilip Kumar suffered a myocardial infarction yesterday. All treatment as per protocol was instituted. At present his condition is stable. In view of his advanced age and post bypass status, he needs monitoring in the ICU."