23 October, 2014 / 27 Zilhaj, 1435

-Illustration by Khuda Bux Abro
-Illustration by Khuda Bux Abro
“Between two rivers, there was a vast desert. In the middle of that desert there’s a cluster of trees and a well. Beyond that there’s nothing but sand,” said 82-year old Aasha.

“Baloch tribesmen, coming to Dera Ghazi Khan from their mountain bodes, often stayed there. They came on colourfully decorated camels, with bells hanging around their necks. At night we would hear those bells,” she said.

“Now that I am old, I often hear a voice, calling me from beyond the desert. Do you think those trees and that well are still there?” she asked.

“Most likely,” I said. I did not want to tell her that things had really changed in the last 66 years. Canals, built since the partition, have brought the much-needed water to some of those areas, turning them into green farmlands.

And where there’s no water, the desert has expanded, swallowing all trees and wells.

Sharing these details with her would have been cruel. She was nearing the end of her journey and was now trying to reconnect herself to the place where she began.

She was lucky that she still heard a voice calling her back to her childhood desert. Most of us hear no call.

Aasha is a neighbour, rather a neighbour’s mother. I only visit her when her daughter, Aarti, is away. I go there in the evening to read her news from her part of the world. She has been living in the United States for the past 35 years but she still calls the subcontinent, “my part of the world.”

“The Indian and Pakistani prime ministers agree to meet in New York later this month to revive peace talks,” I read the day’s main news.

“Fools, they don’t still get it, do they? What else is there to talk about but peace!” she remarked as I read her the news.

“Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi BJP’s new candidate for PM,” I read the next story.

“What a shame,” said Aasha. “Now they want a mass murderer to be India’s next prime minister. No surprise they cannot talk peace.”

Then she addressed me, “I want to see my place of birth in Pakistan before they once again mess things up. Can you get me a visa?”

I assured her, saying that I did not see why the Pakistani Embassy would refuse visa to an old woman.

“No, I do not trust these Indians and Pakistanis,” she said. “I have been trying to go for some time now and every time I am told that relations were not good, I need to wait.”

Although she was staring at me, I could see that she was focused on something else. “I am an old woman now. I must see that well and those trees before I die,” she said.

I was quiet. Her remarks reminded me of my own visit to New Delhi many years ago. I flew from Lahore to New Delhi. It was a short flight, while we were still having our tea; the plane was ready to land at the Indira Gandhi Airport.

I was happy that I was visiting India but since I had no memories of Delhi, I was not excited.

But the old man sitting next to me was, like a child. He jumped out of his seat when the stewardess urged the passengers to prepare for landing.

"Let me go to the window, let me go to the window," he said to his son, sitting next to him. "There, there, you see, this is Delhi," he said.

His son had told fellow passengers that his father was a Dilliwala – "a man of Delhi" – who had migrated to Pakistan after India's partition and was returning to his birthplace after 42 years.

"See, see I remember every road and every street," the old man told his son, looking out the window. "Even from here I can show you where the Red Fort and the big mosque are."

Judging from the thickness of his glasses, his claim raised doubts and eyebrows, but the old man insisted he could see the Delhi Diaspora.

But when the city came a little closer he was disappointed. He could not see his favourite fort or the mosque. Perhaps they were on the other side of the plane or perhaps other buildings blocked his view.

"Delhi has changed, it has," he said sadly. He hastened to add that it looked different only from the sky. "Once I am down there, it will be the same old Delhi again."

An American journalist friend, who was traveling with me, asked what was happening. When I explained, he said, "Doesn't this tragedy move you? If I were from the Subcontinent I could have written a whole book about him."

Was I moved? I was. And I was not.

It is difficult to explain. For us – the post-partition Pakistanis – going to India was not like returning home. India is another country. And yet it is not like any other country. It is a country we left behind more than half a century ago, yet we still share so much. And India is also the country we have fought in three wars.

We do see India as a neighbour – rather a powerful neighbour – and want good relations, but nothing beyond that. There is no desire for reunification, no craving for merger.

For most Pakistanis, the emotional separation came soon after the physical split in 1947. Even the sons and daughters of those who had migrated from India had no special feelings for the land of their ancestors.

But cutting the umbilical cord has not been easy. Despite a strong desire to become the ultimate un-India, we Pakistanis hold on to social, cultural and ethnic links with the "mother" country. This closeness sometimes causes more friction than harmony.

It is particularly difficult for some of the pre-partition Pakistanis and Indians. The Pakistanis feel they were not different enough to qualify as a separate nation and kept trying to make themselves as different from the Indians as possible.

Similarly, some of those Indians who had seen united India could not truly understand the partition, even decades later. They could not comprehend how those who shared so much with them had now become a separate nation.

But many in the post-partition generation – at least in Pakistan – do not share the fears of their elders. Since they were born in Pakistan, they see themselves as natural Pakistanis.

The pre-partition generation also had a great emotional attachment to places like the Red Fort in Delhi or the Taj Mahal. The post-partition generations do not. Since they have no memory of a united India, they do not see the need to reunite, physically or emotionally.

That old man I met on the plane belonged to the pre-1947 generation. For him going to Delhi was like going home.

I don't know what happened to him. He got off the plane with us but disappeared in a small throng of relatives and friends who had come to the airport to receive him. I never met him again. But in him I saw disappointment: He found a Delhi overwhelmed in its newness.

I have known many Dilliwalas who were similarly disappointed with the ‘new’ Delhi.

"Yes, I went back to Delhi and to the house where the poet, Ghalib used to live. It was old and dirty," one said.

Another old Dilliwala was sad to see that even the Muslims were forgetting Urdu, a language once spoken by Muslims across the Subcontinent.

"If they stop learning Urdu, who will protect our cultural and literary heritage in India? Who will appreciate the poets?" he asked. "What a loss, what a loss," he kept saying.

But this was the older generation. The younger generation does not care whether the Indians know Urdu and respect Ghalib or not.

My neighbours in Karachi were from Delhi. Their son, who was born in Karachi and had always lived there, came back from a visit to Delhi complaining that the city was not as great as his parents had said.

"Some of their girls are pretty and alcohol is freely available," he said. "But our girls are more attractive and you can get alcohol here, too, even if it is illegal."

Since my family had not migrated from Delhi, I had little emotional attachment with the old Mogul city. Yet, when I went there I was eager, anybody who has read Urdu literature would be. We read so much about this city. There are short stories and poems praising Delhi. There are novels and plays lamenting its destruction during the war of independence in 1857, the one the British call the Mutiny.

I wanted to see the places that we always read about such as the Fort, the Qutub Minar and the mosque. So I hired a motor rickshaw for sightseeing. In three days the rickshaw driver, who was a burly Sikh whose family had come to Delhi from Rawalpindi in Pakistani Punjab, took me to about two dozen places and then declared that he had shown me "all that is there to see in Delhi."

Although we were in Delhi, we spent most of our time talking about Rawalpindi and other places in Punjab. He had never been to Pakistani Punjab and could not understand why his parents, who lived in India's capital, kept praising "smaller cities like Rawalpindi and Lahore."

When I told him that my family had migrated to Pakistan from India, he offered to take me to my ancestral village.

"Not now. Maybe later," I said.

He laughed and said: "You are like me. I prefer Delhi but my parents want to see Pakistan. At least once before they die."

But then he said that there was something in him that did not go with the chemistry of the people of Delhi. "Maybe I too have some Pakistani chemical in me," he said.

Later he found his own statement very amusing and once, thinking about it, he had a fit of laughter and had to stop the rickshaw. "Look at me. I am a pukka (solid) Indian and I say I may have Pakistani chemical in my veins," he said.

I asked him what would his parents say if they heard him say this.

"They would probably be amused," he said.

Then he told me that when India and Pakistan played a cricket match his parents prayed for the Indian team to win, but also wanted players from Pakistani Punjab to play well, "but only the Punjabi players, not other Pakistanis," said the Sikh driver.

Anwar Iqbal is a correspondent for Dawn, based in Washington, DC.

More From This Author

BISWAJIT ROY
Sep 14, 2013 02:21pm

Please dont be so India obsessed

Sonal
Sep 14, 2013 03:14pm

Wow! You've highlighted the differences between pre and post Partition emotions on both sides so well.

My father was born in Pakistan (about 70 years ago) but was too young during Partition to have any desire to go back now. I, on the other hand, am so keen to go back to my "roots". My family was spread across the four provinces before they moved to Delhi in 1947.

When I have to state my father's birthplace on official international documents (I don't live in India) though, I always say "Karachi, Erstwhile India" for some reason.

My dada (and now dad) spoke a lot of Urdu, and I picked it up too. So much so that when I was sitting my Board exams my teacher told me I write Urdu in Hindi. Goes without saying I did very badly in Hindi.

Sonal
Sep 14, 2013 03:19pm

Haha. This guy has his priorities completely figured out :)

Feroz
Sep 14, 2013 03:35pm

Those who had to migrate during Partition will always feel some pangs, it is quite natural. For the others there is no nostalgia and life will go on.

Furqan Ahmed
Sep 14, 2013 03:49pm

A beautiful article indeed......"Nazar mein rehtay ho jab tum nazar nahi aate"

avtar
Sep 14, 2013 03:51pm

The golden age of Urdu was during the twilight years of Mughal rule. Bahadur Shah Zafar and his predecessors enjoyed poetry and the like activities till 3 AM. During the period, a poem written by Mir or ghalib was considered a valuable gift from Delhi. You can still enjoy these activities in old Delhi or Shahjehanabad . My Pakistani friends, even though born post partition still want to see their ancestral land. All hope for improved people to people relations.

sh
Sep 14, 2013 03:55pm

You are falsely assuming india and pakistan are same. As an atheist i am atleast safe in india. In your country almost every religion has been attacked. In my country jews can roam freely. I don't see this situation in pakistan.

sh
Sep 14, 2013 03:59pm

As an atheist I don't want any relations or comparisons with pakistan. Pakistan doesn't protect atheists.

Furqan Ahmed
Sep 14, 2013 04:04pm

Nazar mein rehtay ho..jab tum nazar nahi aate Ye sur bulatay han..jab tum idher nahi aate

Radhey Shyam
Sep 14, 2013 04:28pm

Pakistanis might love India but we Indians hate Pakistan. Partition was the best thing to have ever happened to India. We Indians are grateful to Jinnah for taking away that notorious, dirty piece of land along with thugs who reside there. You guys could not manage even a single city called Karachi. Just imagine what would have happened to our great cities like Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore etc. if there was no partition. Don't Day dream of re-union. That is never going to happen. India is miles ahead of you in every walk of life and you guys are very close to becoming another Afghanistan. So STOP Day Dreaming.......

Rahul
Sep 14, 2013 05:20pm

Nice article :) Liked it very much

afia
Sep 14, 2013 05:29pm

A difficult painful birth, scars that may have heard but have left their marks.. scratch the surface, and blood oozes out again... yet we don't want to hate... and neither do we want to love... confusion all around no?But such is history!

Ashok Kumar
Sep 14, 2013 05:44pm

I have said it so many times but no one seems to hear it but I still beleive in it and I will say it once more may be some people will agree with me. I used to have many friends from different parts of Pakistan when I worke in Saudi, Bahrain, UAE and I used to talk to them about my dream of re-united India and Pakistan.

Jaya kumar
Sep 14, 2013 05:54pm

Very emotional & good article.Going through,i myself felt as if i should atleast once visit Pakistan.

Saifur Rahman
Sep 14, 2013 05:54pm

Very good article, warm and wet with tears of emotion--I loved it. Even though divided sub-continental countries would probably never politically unite again as one big country, but I can dream of a time not much in distant future--only a few more generations away when this region will be like European Union. A conglomeration of friendly countries with different governments but without out any boarder; where people will be free to go, work and reside in any one of the member countries--The

MS
Sep 14, 2013 05:59pm

Ah! Hope more Pakistanis (Indians) lose their interest over India (Pakistan) like this author and the rickshaw driver did. This would take emotions out of the equation and help the peace process (or rather the "indifference process")

Ordinary Indians like myself dream of a Pakistan which is indifferent to India and vice versa. I don't think the probability of Pakistan and India being "thick friends" is that great - at least not in another two decades. The least we could do is stay indifferent and work to improve the conditions in our own nations, instead of worrying(?!) about others.

By the way, France and England were sworn enemies, fought the hundred years war, but they are doing alright now. They even fought the world wars as allies.

We are better placed. We fought for "just" 66 years!

BUT, I feel that we should dream of achieving a similar state of friendship after two decades when we are mature enough. Just hope there are no world wars for us to jointly fight. I would rather hope that we fight cancer together!

To Pakistanis, from your neighbour who extends a hand of "indifference" (friendship comes later!).

Satak bhai baloch
Sep 14, 2013 06:39pm

yaar ye sab bakwas hai, India Pakistan Bangladesh srilanka,maldives Burma , Indonesia ye sab ek Europe ki taraha hai, sab saale ek jaise log hai.

BP Singh
Sep 14, 2013 06:50pm

Millions of us carry this "Pakistani Chemical" in our viens. Actually it is not just a Pakistani formulation. It has evolved over hundreds and thousands of years . It has been attacked by innumerable viruses, at times it has been polluted beyond measure, and choked by cancerous strains. But one day there will be an eternal and sublime churning and we the people of this vast continent will realize that this everlasting "chemical" has a simple name. "L O V E"

Sundeep
Sep 14, 2013 07:25pm

India and Pakistan are now too different political entities. The old generation have longing for each other, which will be gone in subsequent days. As good neighbours, both have to learn to live with each other with trust and respect. There is no other way to go....

Although my parents never migrated from Pakistan or had any ancestral links, I am still very keen to see the place and taste the street food and shop there. Unfortunately the political situation is too fragile for it to materialize.

Mohinder Sandhu
Sep 14, 2013 07:39pm

Yeah finnally somebody putted in words what i always felt.Way to go man.Thanks

Ashish
Sep 14, 2013 07:44pm

Story of the old woman was very moving, and if you ever write a book about that man, I promise to buy it. But, dear sir, India and Pakistan cannot come together because Delhi has changed? Because it is not your home any more? You did visit that old lady who is your neighbour and are friendly with her, right? Can you see the irony here?

Suresh
Sep 14, 2013 07:53pm

A good article.. Worth reading..

BRR
Sep 14, 2013 07:54pm

The old generation fades away with their own memories and dreams while the new generation thrives with little memory of a different lifestyle but also with a lot of ignorance of how things could be better. The dying embers of old memories will soon be forgotten and inertia takes over, new habits and hatreds overwhelm the lazy, and nothing old will be missed, including a peaceful way of living.

Shankar
Sep 14, 2013 08:07pm

With age the umbilical chord that united India and Pakistan is withering away. Neither country wants a reunification since culturally we have grown wide apart in the last 66 years. Please stop talking about Modi as if he murdered people himself. What happened in Gujarat was the result of about 66 Hindus getting burnt alive allegedly by a Muslim politician! Emotions took over, crowds went on a rampage and there was a carnage. It was akin to the hundreds of thousands that were killed during the partition on either side. Would that make both Nehru and Jinnah murderers because they did not prevent it. Would you call successive Prime Ministers of Pakistan murderers because they did not prevent and continue not to prevent the murder of Hararas, Ahmadis and Shias in Pakistan? How about ZAB who did not prevent the murder of about two hundred thousand people in Bangladesh because he did not want a Bengali to be the PM of Pakistan? Modi would have been a non-entity in Indian politics but for the unjustified, vitriolic attack that he gets from his political opponents which made him a hero in the eyes of Hindus.

AbbasToronto
Sep 14, 2013 08:16pm

Get over it.

The US separated from UK, then built its own destiny.

Pakistan is doing the same, as is India. To each his own.

Raj Patel
Sep 14, 2013 08:37pm

During my journey of 55 years in this world I realised that most of the people were / are / will be biased most of the time and there won't be any bigger hypocrates then human being. People selectively remember or forgets the incidents. For example during the partition in 1947 there were scores of people died / killed on bothe side under nose of so called our prominent leaders like Ghandhiji, Jinha, Javaharlal and so on still they are our heros and there were so many communal riots bigger then Gujarat riots in 2002 taken place in both country under so many prominent leaders still people has short memory but they can't selectively forget Gujarat riots as it was happened in Narendra Modi's rule. Give us a break so called pseudo seculars guys!!!! In 2002 Gujarat carnage not only muslim were killed but good numbers of hindus were also killed and it was started with killing of 59 hindus at Godhara station.

Puri Dilliwali
Sep 14, 2013 08:46pm

Although it was a nice article, but i definitely don't agree with the author when he repetitvely calls the transformation in Delhi tragic, or sad, or disappointing.. I'm a new-age Indian, and I'm proud of my city despite all the talk of it being unsafe for women... We celebrate our monuments through various dance and music fests, acts, plays, urdu poetry and what not...

Delhi is treasure trove of history.. a combination of 7-cities.. it is but natural that not everything can be preserved.. time will take a toll on everything... so please stop criticizing the development...

Vipin
Sep 14, 2013 10:13pm

As an Indian, I am sick of the politics from either side..my first ever interaction with a Pakistani was during my time in Nottingahm, UK. I dont know any other nationality that I could relate more with, then and today. I wish the politicians stop playing their dirty tricks and get both the countries closer....As an India...I love Pakistan!

vaibhav
Sep 14, 2013 10:27pm

as a youngester i have no memory of partition ....i have only heard stories and seen in some movies .......but still i dont know why the article touched me...........................

Samir
Sep 15, 2013 12:41am

Absolutely brilliant writing

Pankaj
Sep 15, 2013 12:51am

I belong to post partition generation.........but, I myself not able to understand why I like to visit the website of the newspaper of a foreign country called "Pakistan:. I would appreciate if author try to explain this phenomenon. In any Indian newspaper, one can easily find maximum comments on Pakistan related issues.

Ali
Sep 15, 2013 01:24am

True! My parents were born in India but I have no attachment to it. I don't wish it harm, I just see them as a neighbor. I hope they do well, as I hope we do well too.

S. Israr Ali
Sep 15, 2013 04:04am

I am a Pakistani and too visited my place of birth Moradabad in U.P apart from Delhi and also Roorkee (city in the foothills of Himalyas) in Uttar Khand in India recently after 64 years for conference. I cannot tell the excitement and enthusiasm I experienced. I found the places wonderful & people excellent.The huge mosques,wonderful architectural landmarks.People living in harmony & busy in their vocations with none of communal feelings. At the airport I was welcomed by Visa Officer saying you are welcomed in India,we have even exempted you from police reporting, go and enjoy your stay. In bazars or places or taxi walas to every one met me with wholeheartedness, love and compassion. At some places I took some juices or something like that. On knowing I am coming from Pakistan they expressed their pleasure and refused to take money saying when you are from Pakistan why to then pay. You pray for us.

It is a historical fact the partition brought miseries, sufferings, death, destruction and massacre and largest forced human migration in the world on both sides of divide.The pain of divided families is curse apart from leaving ancesteral homes, places, graves and everything behind is not an easy one. Germany was divided but division could not endure long and gaps bridged to again become united and one.

It is said love begotten love and hate begotten hate. Everyone has to be respected and loved. Even now India is still home to 400 million muslims, the largest muslim populated secular country in the world having equal population combined that of Pakistan and Bangladesh and after all they are all living and prospering. Hence love, tolerance, respect and compassion is the need of hour of the day and only then sufferings of common man can be removed when we learn to live together as centuries old warring varied great nations of Europe have at last learnt to live together under one flag of EU and combination of several states as one country of United States. The Founder of Pakistan was right when in his famous speech he had said that we have lived together in sub-continent for centuries in harmony and brotherhood with no problems and quoting example referred to the way of governance of great muslim Mughal Emperor Akbar from the period of muslim dynasty in India.

We wish sanity prevail for replacing the long night of sufferings, poverty, hatred, fighting, hunger, illiteracy, diseases with light of progress, prosperity, love, peace, health, literacy and happ

SUNIL
Sep 15, 2013 06:04am

To be a seperate state or a nation is more a desire of a particular group of people to have political and administrative power rather than anything. From this point of view it does not matter if new states or nations are formed. The most important issue is to have amicable relations; like the nations in EU are having. Then ordinary people can have free passage and trade; and the politician can play the game - power power.

Agnostic
Sep 15, 2013 07:22am

I think the title should have been "India & Pakistan love and hate each other". They are 2 warring brothers from the same mother but with 2 different personalities and fighting an irreconcilable battle over land, water, rights etc. Just like the latter, when one brother visits another, they long for the "love" lost but soon can't help raking up the differences. It'll stay like this until the 2 reconcile their differences (if they really can).

Charles Dcruze
Sep 15, 2013 07:31am

Nice article,but our generation (new Indians )has moved very very far away ,we do't want to mix with any Pakistani ,just one request is that pls don't talk about Muslim ( those living in india) because Muslim facing this and that things in india( these Muslim are our Muslim and we will take care them ,you guys no need to be worried . Thanks

Idly Sapadam
Sep 15, 2013 09:07am

Dear Anwar Iqbalji,

The underlying strand of Punjabiyat in your article actually says it all : the Partition was basically a very traumatic experience for North Indians especially the Punjabis. It evokes little response or historical association with others. In India unlike Pakistan Punjabis form only a small (though very dynamic :)) part of the population and thus while Manmohan can reminiscence about his village in Pakistan, it touches no chords in us. Modern Indians and all non Punjabis view Pakistan through through the prism of the three wars, Kashmir and terrorism. We feel no affinity to you, indeed Sri Lankans and Maldivians have far more in common with some of us. If you have any doubts look at the composition of the "Aman ki Asha ' team. In Pakistan the narrative is different as Punjab has the largest population and the traumatic memories have become embedded in societal response. I suspect that and the growing Islamisation will create a toxic mindset which will make conflict resolution more difficult. I would recommend that notwithstanding the historical roots of our conflcit, the path to conflict resolution lies away from quoting shared memories and should be based on present realities and consequences. But a word of advice.... better do it fast otherwise the Taliban will drag you screaming and kicking to the Wahhabi hell that even your saint Data Ganj Baksh will not be able to save you from. Happy Onam !!

NASAH (USA)
Sep 15, 2013 09:12am

It was not only the partition -- it was the post partition sudden uprooting -- that tore the subcontinental hearts apart -- millions of families were separated from their ancestral homes, villages, towns, cities, places of worship, schools, colleges, mountains, valleys, meadows, rivers -- from culture from languages,, -- OVERNIGHT -- never to come back -- that was the most traumatic experience for a NATION of limited mobility and deep local roots.

Both countries got wounded in the process -- and the wounds have yet to heal thanks to the politicians who keep picking the wounds - on both sides of the divide.

Bacchus Piggawala
Sep 15, 2013 09:39am

Thanks for this thoughtfull piece. Punjab suffered the most from partition. Read Ishtiaq Ahmed's excellent book on the subject and the horrors inflicted on the punjabis by the punjabis become clear. Someone lit a match and it all burned down. Hundreds of thousands died.

It is very difficult to make the case that Muslim Punjabis were a different nation from the Hindu and Sikh punjabis. I as a Punjabi Muslim have more in common with Sikhs across the border than I do with the Sindhis and Pathans. Partition was artificial. And perhaps unnecessary. Need to patch up and open up. Enough of persisting with this artificial separation.

Shubs
Sep 15, 2013 10:47am

A common mistake Pakistanis make is to define India by Delhi and Punjab. India is much much bigger, and unimaginably diverse than that narrow slice of the country. 90% of India, geographically, culturally and socially, is beyond that region. The main reason why the new generation in India does not identify with Pakistan at all is because, at least in urban and semi-urban India now, there is a pan-Indian identity, and identification with Pakistan is limited to pre-partition Punjabis from Delhi and its neighboring areas. Today's India considers dosas and appams as much a part of its identity as chicken tikka masala. When a Manipuri sportsperson earns laurels for the country, there is joy in Delhi, Cochin and Kolkata...because of this Indian identity. Television and the movies have played a significant part in this pan-Indianization. The stereotypes of the "dilliwala" and "madrasi" of the 1960s have largely disappeared. Indians of every hue and regional background can be found today living and working all over the country. This comment is not to brag about Indian nationalism, but to correct a common misconception in Pakistan that every Indian speaks Hindi, loves chicken masala and parathas (well, perhaps they do...:-)) and has some "connection" with Pakistan,

deep
Sep 15, 2013 11:42am

When Pakistan was trying to be un-Indian - some of that collateral damage was felt in India - after all over 60 years of sustained hatred coupled with wars, infiltrations and indoctrination must have some fallout on the country you are trying to hate. There is very little love, and even less nostalgia for Pakistan today. But there is a huge curiosity and if Pakistan were to become safe, I would very much want to travel to your country.

mani
Sep 15, 2013 11:59am

What a foolish comment by US lady presented by writer for his own justification, Since she is living in US obviously not aware of ground realities. Matter of fact is In indian cities like Mumbai Delhi Ahmedabad muslims are near about 15% and they are more prosperous then the pakistani muslims. Jehadis wants to create situation like Karachi in indian cities and they dont know any culture excpt one that entire world must convert to Islam. This is creating the problem across the world and secularist in india plying in their hand to just have their vote. I personally feel Jinnah was right on his 2 nation theory and Islam anywhere in world can not survive with any other culture and religion therefore we must avoid emotional connections, let pakistan create it's own identity and indian muslim first needs to understand where they are living with whom they are living to avoid inciedents like Godhrs. In india I myself seen musilms not allowing to celebrate even diwali if any hindu famaliy living around them. The lifestyle and religious culture opted by Muslims of subcontinent leading them towards Talibanisation and you can understand consequences better.

Krish Chennai
Sep 15, 2013 12:06pm

This article is wayward and sentimental, and this kind of nostalgic drooling can well earn the appellation "stupid". In the narrative following Independence, the question that should be asked is, has it served the social and economic betterment of the larger populace who inhabit the countries ? Even if India, could overall be referred as a "success story", despite the best of endeavour, it is lopsided, in that the masses still have to worry about their food, clothing and shelter. Is it an exception in other countries of the sub-continent ? We have the best of engineers, economists and, I dare say, even political-scientists. Certainly a will and vision is required, where we should treat the "man on the street" in Karachi, Lahore, Mumbai, Delhi, Calcutta, Dhaka, etc, as one and the same type of human. We need to get together for this sole reason, whether or not we consider cultural affinity and bonding. In example, let us take the very critical question of water-sharing. When very recently there was heavy rain and flooding, the same personages who had blamed India, for releasing water from the dams that resulted in flooding and damage on the Pakistani side, had just a few months earlier, made the accusation about all the water being retained on the Indian side, leading to drought across the border ! Simply put, should we allow this scenario to continue, or do we have the will to deal with it on a permanent basis.

Surjit Kohli
Sep 15, 2013 12:15pm

@

Shyam Kokku
Sep 15, 2013 01:00pm

Very well articulated article that mostly reflects what two or three generations of Pakistanis feel about partition and India. Partition was never necessary, but it became reality because Jinnah was not acceptable as Prime Minister of an independent India - as simple as that. Reason was straight: post independence, people of all religions were to have the same place and rights in India, while Jinnah wanted exclusivity for Islam. Historians, political analysts give so many twists and spins to justify partition but where was religious inequality or disharmony in the country before partition?

Now it's all over and we are two different countries. Majority in Pakistan are happy that they are an Islamic State and thank Jinnah for carving a state for them. Indians are very happy that the principles of equality and freedom have never been compromised, even if it costed partition of the country. Now we have to do everything possible to make our nations more prosperous. We have to promote education, religious harmony, eradicate corruption, poverty and terrorism. If both the countries peruse this agenda, one day we may be seen as progressive people once again.

saba prateeksha
Sep 15, 2013 01:03pm

I feel an identical vacuum at even the suggestion that India and Pakistan could unify, as perhaps Anwar Iqbal also feels. It is too simplistic a solution now, with so much water under the bridge.

I am not someone who personally experienced the partition physically, but emotionally I still do. I was only born in 1972- but the stories we heard were so many and so often told that they are all a part of my mind and including the Anarkali bazar in Lahore - as though i would look out and see it. My grandparents generation, which is at the last stage of phasing out, with my grandmother now over 92, kept it alive for us always. As they all sat and spoke we heard without losing interest over the years so many tales...

I personally always felt we the Punjabis and those among us who left from various parts of west Punjab, really never came 'home' anywhere. More so being a hindu-punjabi, the loss always felt more; for the Sikhs could still claim East Punjab as their own. We were not agrarian and my own family was in the services for several generations, including the judiciary and so forth. The families came here all shattered, scattered and torn to shreds- many lost along the way as well.

We came- reconstituted, built lives again...but lost our language, our culture, our dreams, our hopes of returning someday (!!) Slowly we all got up, educated and then scattered more widely so- all over the globe. The hindu-punjabis perhaps lost most of all, when they lost that connection with their language and now in my generation and younger ones, half of them do not even recognize their own mother tongue.

I do not think getting back is an option but yes, connecting with others and seeing their side of reality is always nice. We of course 'found' our house in Sant Nagar, Lahore all over again, including the family that lives there- I call them my family in Lahore...and they came and stayed with us in Delhi too. I hope to go to Lahore someday too. When i think a part of my family lives in Lahore, i always know i want them safe. And I think that for all of Pakistan- let them remain safe, because when they are - we also will be.

Things will not be the same, but they can often get better. Isn't that an option too?

Abhishek Tomar
Sep 15, 2013 01:59pm

Indicus
Sep 15, 2013 02:01pm

@deep: I agree. In fact rather than viewing India as enemy or challenger or 'love to be hated' nation or something similar, if Pakistan government (and Pakistani people) put in efforts to restore and maintain historic sites and have some peace, I am sure there would be lot of interest to visit Pakistan by Indians. Largest number of tourist visiting Pakistan could be Indians. Thus Pakistan will also stand to benefit by India's bigger population and relatively better economy.

Emran Singh mastang
Sep 15, 2013 03:06pm

Pakistan and India are like two lost orphans trying desperately to find their mother Hind. Mother Hind's tears flow as the five Rivers of Punjab as she yearns for her two lost orphans to be together with her again.

dsp
Sep 15, 2013 04:03pm

this reminded me of my grandfather who wished to visit the Hinglaaj Temple in Balochistan, atleast once, because the deity is the Kuldevi (protector of that clan of rajputs to which I belong ), and Ajmer Sharif in one pilgrimage. While he surly visited the latter but not the former. Can someone tell me if it is safe enough for a Hindu Rajput male to travel to Balochistan , for I have heard that it goes ill there these days

Ghilzai Khan
Sep 15, 2013 04:15pm

The blogger is a dilusional person, he only sees through a Punjabi and sindhi perspective. Punjabi and sindhis may have some connection with India but pukhtoons and balochs don't.

Pukhtoons see Afghanistan as a mother country and baluchs look towards Iran, any part that can have mother child relationship with India is punjab and sindh.

We resent this notion, the bloggers clearly defines Pakistan as Punjabi sindh nation, the other are forgotten or their views don't matter.

Sandeep Singh
Sep 15, 2013 04:33pm

I don't even like to go to Pakistan, nor i imagined ever to go there and nor i wish that INDIA & Pakistan become united again.

Darshan Suyal
Sep 15, 2013 04:39pm

You are trying to imply through a ignorant lady about Indian National Leader a Potential Prime Ministerial Candidate, Modi a Mass Murderer!!! Does a mere thought of Indian people come to your mind, who has started asking questions, if India has given a good share on the basis of Religion why 15 crores muslims still here to threaten India's PEACE. Wud you like to trade Hindus living in Pak for socalled Muslims living in India. OUTCOME WUD BE NOTHING BUT PEACE.

vic
Sep 15, 2013 04:50pm

@vaibhav: Smart civilizations learn from history, but us people of subcontinent maybe dont belong in that category. not hard to imagine that how few Britishers ruled us for so long. Two traitors to our motherland are our fathers of nation and a greedy rich man is chacha. no wonder life goes on, but reality of partition was much different then what we all are taught thats why there is so much hate. In fact yesterday i was talking to my 90 yr old relative who was telling me about Khizar hayat khan(Hope i spelled it rt.)( the then cheif of united punjab govt leader of unionist party. if you need to know the truth please find more details about him and share) and how jinnah and nehru betrayed the nation the story of khan Abdul Gafar khan and role of Aligarh Muslim university for spreading false rumours how many know that. Perhaps time for somebody to tell real history so that people are able to call a spade a spade based on reality not the propaganda that two govts are spreading since partition. my big thanks go out to all the Muslims friends of my family in those days for helping them out. and regards to all the elders whom i should know but dont.

Bacchus Piggawala
Sep 15, 2013 05:19pm

@saba prateeksha: So touching. And so true Bibi. I totally agree that the partition de-punjabied us. And the links have remained. It was unnatural, the forcing apart. Too unnatural.

Sonal
Sep 15, 2013 05:17pm

@Ghilzai Khan :

Very true. This applies for India as well. It's a bit naive to assume all of India or all of Pakistan is homogenous.

Sourv
Sep 15, 2013 05:37pm

It is because of Qaid-e-azam Jinnah partition of India happened.He warned Congess to choose one option either divided India or destroyed India.Because of this threatening Congress chose divided India a better option.Thank God we got a separate India.

Sonal
Sep 15, 2013 06:03pm

Sonal
Sep 15, 2013 06:03pm

Haha. This guy has his priorities completely figured out :)

NASAH (USA)
Sep 15, 2013 07:26pm

Unite they will not -- but like US and Canada - they can.

NASAH (USA)
Sep 15, 2013 07:30pm

By the way Anwar Iqbal -- good to see you smiling for a change.

noobguy
Sep 15, 2013 07:57pm

Excellently written in simple english this article deserves a thumbs up for being brief, simple and factual. Quaid.e.Azam did not take a fallacious stance by pleading Britishers for granting Muslims a saperate piece of land. But he erred by trusting his heirs that they are truely loyal to the demands of the common man. Infact Pakistan needed many Quaid.e.Azams to drive the country safely after partion. Sadly there were non after him.

Vik2
Sep 15, 2013 08:43pm

So touching! I am fortunate to read.

Only time will tell subcontinent Muslims that Urdu is more beautiful than Arabic and subcontinent Islam is better than Saudi Islam.

z2cents
Sep 15, 2013 09:00pm

Why is Pakistan media so obsessed with the partition and india. India has moved on and dont care about the partition anymore. This generation is glad we are seperate. Move on people, India has bigger problems to focus on, namely the economy and China.

TheBlueDot
Sep 15, 2013 09:11pm

@Emran Singh mastang: India and Pakistan are not orphans. Pakistan may be but India certainly is not. India exist since time immemorial where as Pakistan came into being only 66 years ago.

TheBlueDot
Sep 15, 2013 09:14pm

@Indicus: Will Indians visit dangerous Pakistan? Not only Hindus but even other islamic faith is in perinial denger there.

TheBlueDot
Sep 15, 2013 09:23pm

@deep: India and Pakistan should never merge now. If Pakistanis are happy with Pakistan, the Indians are far far more happier than Pakistanis. We do not want the rot of Pakistan in India. All Indians: Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Shikhs etc are very happy in India.

gaurav
Sep 15, 2013 10:14pm

@Darshan Suyal: dear... Just see the result of the election in gujrat where he won where the muslim population is 70% and needless to say tht without there votes it was not possible for modi to win it... I respect what u said but u also need to see this as well... I wish for both the countries to grow and live as the best frnds...

Mirza Sulatanpuri
Sep 15, 2013 10:19pm

Na tum humen jaano,

Na hum tumhe jaane

Magar lagta hai, kuch aaisa,

Mera humdam mil gaya

Hasham
Sep 16, 2013 12:08am

whatever anybody says the religious difference exists. and separation was in best interest of all.

varun
Sep 16, 2013 12:28am

A word of thought: No city in the world can be same after 6 decades. i appreciate that people like old times. I am an indian. I have stayed in delhi for 4 years and currently residing in Mumbai. With time, cities develop. Its like, if we have to survive, we have to constantly move on with the change, advance. The article clearly describes the changes since partition, but feelings are the same. Delhi might have developed like anything, but dilliwalas are the same. If you really want to see delhi , visit old delhi and places. Salaam from an indian.

Pankaj
Sep 16, 2013 12:46am

@Ghilzai Khan : But, Pakhtoons voted in favor of India in 1940's. how come it possible pakhtoons, in 1940's thought India as its mother and in 2010's changed it to Afghanistan. Do you think 70 is good enough time period to change one's mother :)

DhillonToronto
Sep 16, 2013 12:54am

@AbbasToronto: Seriously that's how you understand this issue !!!! and relationship between US and UK is similar to India and Pak...?????

Pankaj
Sep 16, 2013 12:54am

@Sandeep Singh: Then why are you reading such a long boring article in a Pakistani newspaper and also bothering to comment also.

Pankaj
Sep 16, 2013 01:01am

@dsp: Our Pakistani brothers have surrendered all the gold of Hinglaz temple to some fierce Afghan decoits and after his departure, Pakistani historians have noted down their names as heroes in their school history text books.

Pankaj
Sep 16, 2013 01:15am

@deep: Correct........ I got my answer. Actually, We post partition generation of India has huge curiosity to check every now and then to find out how these buggers are doing, who hated so much with we hindus that they divided their own motherland to fulfill their hate instincts....

yaldram
Sep 16, 2013 03:09am

ironic isnt it? pple living outside 'permanently' trying to figure out mother n son relationship between two different countries regardless of the disjoining features which have their own identities. absurd to see pple having PAK or india as a vacation destination ponder on finding the commonalities and then generalizing them to monumental heights...

Sikandar Khan
Sep 16, 2013 03:40am

Very nice. I almost cried. This has been a cruelty we can not understand. Not yet. I meant the partition

Idle Dreamer
Sep 16, 2013 05:49am

Imagine a world without partition. India would be the world's largest country. The world's largest democracy. No getting entangled in the Cold War. Pehaos no Soviet occupation of Afghanistan and the resultant radicalization. Baluchis traveling all the way to Tamilnadu and vice versa. One of the most strategically located countries in the world. Kashmir, a haven for tourists. The list goes on. What nobody realizes is that the Brits divided and ruled us. And then they divided and left us. And we let them.

Vasant Deshpande
Sep 16, 2013 07:25am

Dear Anwar jee, I eagerly await your pieces in Dawn. So human and often too nostalgic for an old heart as mine. Keep writing please.

Aiza
Sep 16, 2013 07:51am

@Vipin: You touched my Pakistani hearth! I could not agree more!

Aiza
Sep 16, 2013 07:55am

@Radhey Shyam: And I am so glad you are not on our side of the border, remain there with your hatred, I am sure Shiv Sena needs you. Good luck!

Omer
Sep 16, 2013 08:31am

@Sourv: Hahaha, read some history. It appears you just landed from Mars. All India Muslim League accepted the Cripps Mission, which essentially meant united India, but Congress rejected it. Although Muslims did want a separate country, it was greatly facilitated by none other than the Congress. Thanks for that! Else any Modi could step into the PM house over our dead bodies.

opinon
Sep 16, 2013 08:45am

@Rahul: This writer is not a good quality. He has never impressed me even once. I would rate him very low. You may have your own opinion of him but I cannot stand his half-emotional, useless topics.

sarika
Sep 16, 2013 09:01am

My father came to India from Sialkot, a child of 7, and yet he says that whenever he closes his eyes the memories of his place of birth come flooding back to him. So much is his love for Pakistan that I who was born in 1976, almost 30 years after partition, feel a bond with the country despite all our hostilities. I would like to visit it, meet its people and get to know them better. I met women from Karachi at Abu Dhabi airport and I spent time with them. It was like holding one a strand of a thread of love the other part of which was held by an unknown loved one. Honestly, I did not want to let them go.

sarika
Sep 16, 2013 09:08am

NITIN PANDEY
Sep 16, 2013 09:22am

Beautiful ! Very well written.

While it is now too late to merge the two countries, atleast, we can live and work together in peace and love. Overwhelming majority of Indians have great love for Pakistanis as their own flesh and blood and I'm sure its true the other way around also. May God bless both our nations.

K
Sep 16, 2013 09:39am

sumit bisht
Sep 16, 2013 10:46am

@Sourv: Jinnah was not the only one in favor of partition, other leaders such as Nehru were also in favor of this 2-nation theory as it would allow both Jinnah and Nehru to rule 'their' nations. What is sad is that a lot of other popular leaders like Gandhi allowed this to happen.

Akil Akhtar
Sep 16, 2013 11:26am

@Abhishek Tomar: You people are really brainwashed.......

Akil Akhtar
Sep 16, 2013 11:33am

@Radhey Shyam: The Muslims ruled india for 1000 years and made it the golden sparrow of the east, look what you have made of it the gang rape capital of the world.

Ajay Vikram Singh
Sep 16, 2013 11:58am

The story of india and pakistan is like - Terey sang chain bhi mujhko, terey sang beqarari bhi hey. :)

Ajay Vikram Singh
Sep 16, 2013 12:03pm

@Sonal: Hope pakistan also figure out its priorities quickly. They need to do that immediately and keep on doing that for long time to come.

Ajay Vikram Singh
Sep 16, 2013 12:07pm

@saba prateeksha: Well said, Prateeksha. "Sab kaha kuchh ..lala-o-gul me numaya ho gayi, khaak me kya surate hongi ...k pinha ho gayi. " - Mirza Ghalib

zahid
Sep 16, 2013 12:14pm

Where there is one story of peace from India there are 1000 anti Pakistan and hate for Pakistan in Indian papers. Why Pakistani papers focus on these and not the vastly negative ones?

Sooraj
Sep 16, 2013 12:40pm

The masses everywhere are full of chauvinism. Post 1947 India is a motley group of so many different folks clubbed together that Winston Churchill famously said : 'India would Balkanize into many groups' How did it stay together? As Ram Chandra Guha says 'India would sustain, because it has respected the linguistic aspirations of it's territories' We have 20+official languages approved by the central parliament. Pakistan & Srilanka burnt their fingers when they tried to put down 'Bengali in East Pakistan' & 'Tamil in Srilanka'. Language is the first cultural ethos of a human being, way bigger than any other traits. A Punjabi Muslim would always be looked down upon by a Arabic Muslim or a Persian Muslim. Religion had failed to be the binder for a sense of country. India would have survived even if Pakistan was not severed out of it.

N. K. DHUVAD
Sep 16, 2013 12:53pm

AN IDEAL MEDIA EFFORTS TO UNITE SOULS WHICH CANNOT & NEVER BE SEPARATED - On Web sight of Dawn on 14th September read an article named -

Chaitanya
Sep 16, 2013 01:40pm

A farmer before dying made two pisece of his land for his two sons. One son looks after his portion of land to develop nicely, while other son lost his way and instead concentrating on his land he thinks of his brother's developed land. Isn't it disapponinting for the sons, as they can not go on the other side of the land where they used to play together or work together? Their Ego will never allow this to happen.

js
Sep 16, 2013 02:01pm

you are me and I am you. I don't love you, but I can never hate you. It appears I too have a Pakistani chemical in me.

Commoner
Sep 16, 2013 02:13pm

Nature created Indian subcontinent with 4 natural boundaries - Indus river in west, Himalayas in North, Brahmaputra river in East. India enjoys Unity in Diversity -diverse lifestyle , languages and cultures. Size wise Pakistan is just like another 2 or 3 states of current India which 30 different states. Hindus, muslims, christians, Buddhist, Jains, all co-exist in INdia while Pakistan is finding difficult to hold its states together inspite of being exclusively Muslim. Establishment is Pakistan is aware of this fact hence create image that India is a threat and work overtime make Pakistanis keep away from India story.

T A
Sep 16, 2013 03:15pm

@Sonal:....

Hi Sonal, here I go again. In my recent application for entry to India submitted from a western country, I had to show details of my deceased father who was born in Lahore (1906). Now these days, the word Pakistan, when mentioned on India visa application, sounds as bad as a Jew is to an Arab. However, I got around by declaring his birth place as not in Pakistan but British India which was a fact. I got the visa in record two days.

Real name withheld, but you know who.

Ahmed
Sep 16, 2013 03:31pm

seriously what is the point of such articles? I would strongly suggest to the readers to actually meet with and live with indians and then make up their minds, about whether we even want to be friends with them.

I have known and lived for the past three years with a lot of indians (250 of them) and I have found them to be of the lowest of characters, full of deciet, deep hate for Pakistanis and nearly as much hate for their own countrymen, liars and cheats; basically the worst examples of human beings and completely brainwashed. Everyone has their own opinion, this is mine based of what I have seen with my own eyes and not just after meeting one or two indians but 250 of them.

Onkar Sharma
Sep 16, 2013 03:43pm

After the WW II, when the German Army surrendered to the Red Army, Mr. Churchill became fearful of the Soviet Union

Irfan Husain
Sep 16, 2013 03:50pm

A very thoughtful exploration of post-Partition attitudes on both sides of the border. Sadly, both governments have connived to divide culture, history and our shared humanity.

waseem
Sep 16, 2013 04:10pm

@Abhishek Tomar: Modi has direct invlovement in attrocities and genocide. Jinnah is not reposnsible more than Patel, Nehru, redcliff, and RSS. we are facing the burns of extremisim about 20 years now, India got the first one in the assasinationation of Gandhi by a Hindu extremist. This madness was there always in the people of this sub-continent, and creation of pakistan was the only way to settle this forever. alas, the people and leadership of Pakistan failed their nations and cause, but that is our own story, India has no share in that.

Mahen
Sep 16, 2013 04:55pm

What a shame,

Ahmed Sultan
Sep 16, 2013 05:05pm

@Ahmed: i too have the same opinion about you. only you not about all pakistanis

Ahmed Sultan
Sep 16, 2013 05:12pm

@AbbasToronto: Us separated from UK.. When??

mohit
Sep 16, 2013 05:22pm

@Ahmed: 250 Indians in the population of more than a billion!!! As you said you have a right to your opinion. Trouble with India and Pakistan is that we tend to generalise a lot. At least are honest in telling what data you used to come to your conclusion. By the way I am an indian and have met quite a few from Pakistan. There is not much difference between Indians and Pakistanis. Most of the Pakistani I have met are really good people, but its outside their natural habitate so what do I know??

Indian friend
Sep 16, 2013 05:30pm

@Ahmed: Your opinion about others tells us more about you than it does about the others. I hope you find peace.

Abhishek Tomar
Sep 16, 2013 05:31pm

@waseem: That's shows your ignorance When we ask you to handover Hafiz Saeed then you says he is not been convicted by Pakistani Judiciary and on the other hand you yourself assumed that Modi was directly involved when none in Indian has convicted him so far.

Secondly, Have guts to criticize your leaders fault , there is no dearth of people in India who criticize Nehru and Patel along with those praises them. Now I firmly believe, more then before, this mess will continue to be there on your side since you chose to close your eyes.

Rupesh
Sep 16, 2013 05:39pm

Very good compilation ! Nostalgia is part of the older generation ! Any riot is painful . Two groups of people indulge in it . No point blaiming the ruler under which it happens . Under the Chief-minstership of SHri SHahid hussain Shurawardy , riots took place in Kolkata in August 1946 . He later became Prime Minister of Pakistan . So forget about the old riots ! Try to live peacefully in your own country and sometimes visit your neighbour too !

Weirdity
Sep 16, 2013 06:08pm

@Ashok Kumar: Like Jinnahs dream turned into a nightmare for many people, so will yours. It's important to learn from history.

Salman
Sep 16, 2013 06:11pm

@Mahen: According to a British investigation the fire started from within the train. Killing 58 people. This event then was used to kill hundreds of Muslims, including burning 128 infants and raping hundreds of Muslim women.

AZEEZ
Sep 16, 2013 06:12pm

@Ahmed: one more madrasa educated scholar

joe
Sep 16, 2013 06:23pm

@Rupesh: Absolutely right Rupesh. Live peacefully, forget about pat who did what, try to make world a better place. Pak-India friendship God Bless.

Dilshad
Sep 16, 2013 06:23pm

Interesting to see a few of our Hindu friends here stressing (and re-stressing) their desire to avoid a Pakistan-India reunification. My question is, whoever talked of unification with India? Never us Pakistanis! We got our independence from India because the Hindus weren't exactly the best compatriots. (not that you are great neghbours either, but..) We understand your grief at the division of Bharat 'MAATA' but you guys have only yourselves to blame!

unfortunately, Akhand Bharat remains not only the adored dream of crores of Indian Hindus STILL TODAY, but unification also has been part of the manifesto of many of the right wing political parties in India. We Pakistanis do not want to be a part of your India again.. ever!

So please, never even mention re-unification again. We have seen Kashmir and we have seen Gujarat.. and we are watching Muzaffarnagar with horror now! We wanted to get away from such a 'secular' Bharat/Hindusthan, and now that we have our homeland, we really want to stay away from Hindusthan for good!

Bacchus Piggawala
Sep 16, 2013 06:47pm

@Ahmed: Stop being silly. I for one have come across quite a few Indians who I have a hard time finding a big difference in identity with. There is too much in common, and too little that separates. We can spend the rest of our lives proving ourselves to be non-Indian, but you can see for yourself where that has led us. As Pakistanis we have to acknowledge that India is a plural and multicultural society where minorities are protected under their constitution. We, on the other hand are hell bent on ostracizing our minorities because they come from a slightly different shade than Sunni Islam.

greg
Sep 17, 2013 12:13am

@Hasham:great now please enlighten us about creation of Bangladesh

Vikram Garg
Sep 17, 2013 02:07am

The partition of India split apart the Punjabi and Bengali peoples of the subcontinent in a most violent manner. In many ways, this was like the splitting of Germany into East and West sections after World War 2. Of course, the partition of Punjab and Bengal happened on religious grounds, while the partition of Germany was based on ideological differences. The Punjabis and Bengalis were themselves far more complicit in the tearing apart of their nascent nations. Perhaps the pain of the partition is most acutely felt by Pakistani Punjabis and Indian Sikhs. With the departure of the Punjabi Hindus, the Pakistani Punjabis lost their entrepreneurial class, whereas the Sikhs associate the Punjab with the Sikh empire and Nankana Sahib.

After the cold war, the partition of East and West Germany resolved itself with the eventual reunification of the two states. Perhaps after the end of the Indo-Pak hot-cold war, the Sikhs of India can easily revisit their heritage in Pakistan. With the great commerical and cultural success they have enjoyed in India, it seems that the Punjabi Hindus have moved past partition for the most part. Delhi is their city now.

klm786
Sep 17, 2013 05:30am

I met so many pakistani in canada they all seems to be very nice people.

Abhishek Tomar
Sep 17, 2013 06:47am

@Akil Akhtar: And you were brainwashed before 1947

Milind
Sep 17, 2013 09:27am

@Ahmed - "I have known and lived for the past three years with a lot of indians (250 of them) and I have found them to be of the lowest of characters, full of deciet, "

You sure they were Indians?? Cozz many Pakistanis in the West try to pass off as Indians, due to the bad press Pakistan gets there.

ashwin
Sep 17, 2013 12:01pm

Having a common cultural background and brought up by ancestors who lived in harmony and who fought sholder to sholder for independence.. We are very much alike.. ! For a common man a peaceful environment and a honest means of living is essential.. any thing that betrays him of these is a menece.. There can be peace between us only when you stop supporting ppl who dont believe in peace who rather believe in imposing inhuman living conditions in the name of faith .. my heart bleeds for men irrespective of faith who were lost in the cross fire created by these self centered animals .. solution, FOLLOW your faith, ALLOW others to follow theirs, things will fall in place.. May peace be destowed on us both

History Lover
Sep 17, 2013 12:23pm

@sumit bisht: Gandhi was not happy with this decision. In fact he was the only leader that time who went on fasting to oppose this decision.