Clarke's warning to umpire ends bitter Ashes

Published Aug 26, 2013 12:18pm
“I remember Aleem touching me and I asked him politely to not touch me because if I touched him I'd be suspended for three matches.” -Photo by AFP

SYDNEY: Skipper Michael Clarke told umpire Aleem Dar not to touch him as the fifth and final Ashes Test ended in an acrimonious draw, Australian media revealed Monday.

Clarke's exchange with the umpires hit the headlines after bad light ended England's dramatic late bid to run down the target set by the tourists' bold second innings declaration which injected life into the encounter at The Oval in London.

England, set 227 to win in 44 overs, needed just 21 off 24 balls with five wickets left when the umpires decided the light, even with the floodlights on, was too dark and ended the match with England taking the series 3-0.

“Michael Clarke asked umpire Aleem Dar to take his hands off him as the final Test ended amid controversy and confusion after one of the most extraordinary days in the history of Ashes cricket,” The Australian's Wayne Smith said.

The daily quoted Clarke as saying: “I can't remember what I said. I remember Aleem touching me and I asked him politely to not touch me because if I touched him I'd be suspended for three matches.”

Dar had reached out with his left hand to push the Australian captain away.

Clarke later revealed at the post-match presentations that the lux (light) reading was 5.7, “no comparison”, as he put it, to the brighter 8.1 level that had prompted the umpires to call play off in Manchester when Australia had been in control of the Third Test.

“Once they took the reading, I knew it was going to be darker than what it was in Manchester. I was batting at the time in Manchester and I knew it was going to be darker,” Clarke said.

The Australian newspaper said the way the English crowd jeered Clarke was “nothing short of disgraceful” given that their own side had played “nothing but negative cricket at every stage of the match”.

The Daily Telegraph's Malcolm Conn said that umpires had to take a “more pragmatic view” of bad light rulings in future.

“The light that the last hour of the game was played in highlights how farcical it was to come off for bad light earlier in the tour, showing that the umpires must take a more pragmatic view,” Conn said.

“In one of the great ironies of the tour Clarke was booed by the crowd during the presentations despite his declaration saving a dead match. The team that deserved to be booed was England, which crawled along at two runs an over during the third day.”

Cosmic Lion
Aug 26, 2013 01:14pm

"Dar had reached out with his left hand to push the Australian captain away." Really?. Essentially Dat was asking Clarke to cool down in a subcontinental way.....Clarke had no reason to argue with Umpire Dar while he was taking reading...

Imtiaz Hydari
Aug 26, 2013 01:37pm

Aussies have always been bad losers. They were thrashed soundly by England and couldn't stomach the outcome. The ramblings of their Coach and then Faulkner ... sounds so childish ..sour grapes... Clarke gave England a challenge and they accepted it ..full credit to them. They should have won the match. However, The umpires did their job - there was no room for discretion. Clarke had no business to be lurking around Aleem Dar when he was checking the light. Aleem Dar had every right to tell him to move away and not be an intrusion. Clarke should be fined for trying to influence the umpire!!!

Khan
Aug 26, 2013 02:07pm

typical arrogant clarke. after playing cricket around the world he should know in asian culture a gentle touch is not meant to be threatening.

Perwez Abdullah
Aug 26, 2013 04:51pm

Australians should start accepting that they have lost their touch with cricket. They should behave like gentlemen not like an 'escaped convict'..

Oz
Aug 26, 2013 05:53pm

Accidentally, some people consider these players a hero. What a disgraceful attitude shown by aussies, and their attitude deserves all the losses they are getting. They should be penalised for bringing the game into disrepute by behaving this way with the umpires.

kool Jewel
Aug 26, 2013 06:08pm

If this were to be a Pakistani player arguing with umpire, It would have been all over the media blaming Pakistan for his action and banning him for GOD knows how many matches. It's a Western Player again Asian umpire. You know what would have happened.

Prashant Menon
Aug 26, 2013 06:14pm

yeh kabhi nahin suthrenge! typical aussie cricket

Zafar Iqbal
Aug 26, 2013 06:18pm

If he can get 3 months off for touching umpire then must get something for implicitly threatening to do that as well.

Ebrahim
Aug 26, 2013 06:43pm

@Khan: Clarke does no know what a gentle touch is. It is not only Clarke but all the Australians are like that when it comes to sportsman spirit which is non existent in Australians.

Amir
Aug 26, 2013 06:54pm

Touching others especially when you are supervising is a no no. One should follow the country's culture and not your own.

Jawwad
Aug 26, 2013 07:35pm

What a disgrace Clarke has become. Typical Australian arrogance. I bet he would have chosen different words for similar skin mates.

dr vimal raina
Aug 26, 2013 08:03pm

When Clarke said that if he touched Dar he would be suspended for three matches reminds me of a scene in Pretty Woman. Gere says I never treated you like a whore. Julia Robert says You just did. Clarke is culpable in this whole matter.

BISWAJIT ROY
Aug 26, 2013 08:40pm

The australian team is always an arrogant team and it is nothing new. I remember after winning 2002 cricket world cup the australian team misbehave with the then ICC president sharad jadav as they pushed him aside during the lifting of cup.

khalid
Aug 26, 2013 08:55pm

Clarke should be penalized for misbehavior with the umpires. Australians are always bad losers and find faults with others.

O Khan
Aug 26, 2013 09:16pm

I hate to stereo type, but it is becoming harder & harder for me not to say that Australians are racist in general.

Ghalib Khan
Aug 27, 2013 02:00pm

What really is alarming is that it does amaze anybody that ICC is not taking any action against Clarke,

It is like we have accepted the fact that if they are not Asian players they can get away with anything.

Cosmic Lion
Aug 27, 2013 05:02pm

@Amir...I do get your point. Clarke was crowding Dar whilst he was taking the reading...Good that Umpire Dar and Dharmasena asked Clarke to buzz off..

GREATER PAKISTAN
Aug 27, 2013 05:28pm

@Prashant Menon yeh kabhi nahin suthrenge! typical aussie cricket

hahaha...............bilkul sahi kaha.

GREATER PAKISTAN
Aug 27, 2013 05:31pm

.............and nothing happens to Clarke because we all Asians know they are white skin and considered above law..........

shahzad
Aug 27, 2013 05:47pm

At the end of the match, players are tired both physically and mentally, to say nothing about the emotions they are experiencing either high or low. I am sure Clarke has said the remarks in haste for which he had been feeling regretful. Clarke must learn "win or loss with no excuse".

animallovers
Aug 28, 2013 04:46am

@GREATER PAKISTAN: And Aleem Dar would be tried for bringing the game into disrepute - aka - Inzi style.

animallovers
Aug 28, 2013 04:52am

@Amir: Follow what culture? I believe Aleem Dar lives most of the time in Pakistan, visits other countries, normally only when he is supervising matches. Spends most of his awake time standing alone in front of thousands of spectators, in a playing field. Where does he get time to learn the cultural attitudes of the others?

Shahid Khan
Aug 28, 2013 02:00pm

@dr vimal raina: Well said..couldnt help smiling at your comment.

someone
Aug 28, 2013 03:46pm

hats off to clarke, period.