QUETTA: Seventeen of the 30 districts in Balochistan, including the provincial capital, plunged into darkness after two huge pylons of 220kv transmission line were blown up in Nasirabad district on Tuesday evening.
The banned Balochistan Republican Army claimed responsibility for the blast.
According to sources, explosive devices planted near the pylons in Chatter area, about 4km west of Dear Murad Jamali town, detonated at about 8.15pm. The pylons were supplying electricity to 17 districts from the Guddu power plant.
“Two power pylons (No 418 and 419) were destroyed in the powerful explosion,” officials said.
Quetta Electric Supply Company officials said power supply to Quetta, Mastung, Kalat, Khuzdar, Noshki, Kharan, Pishin, Ziarat, Zhob, Qila Abdullah, Sibi, Bolan, Gandawah, Dera Bugti, Chagai, Qila Saifullah and Shirani had been suspended after the blast.
“We are trying to restore power supply to the affected districts from Dera Ghazi Khan, Loralai and Harnai transmissions,” they said.
The supply was, however, restored to some parts of Quetta from Habibullah Coastal Power, a private plant, at about 11.30pm. The rest of the city areas and the 17 districts were without electricity till late night.