LAHORE, April 23: The City District Government Lahore on Tuesday banned political and religious gatherings at Minar-i-Pakistan, withdrawing a notification of approval it issued earlier in this regard.

The decision was taken in the light of possible terrorist attacks on political and religious leaders during their public meetings, officials told Dawn.

They said police and other law-enforcement agencies had asked the government to avoid giving permission to parties for holding rallies at Minto Park. Moreover, the Parks and Horticulture Authority was also worried about the damage to plants and beauty of the place caused by the people time to time during such gatherings, an official said.

He said the CDGL had decided in principle to avoid issuing permission to any party for holding rallies there. “The permission given by the CDGL to parties earlier has also been withdrawn.”

LOADSHEDDING: DCO Rizwan Mehboob directed Wapda officials on Tuesday to reduce loadshedding in the city and submit a load management plan to the district administration.

“The loadshedding must be reduced in the city and you must submit your grid stations’ load management plan,” Mahboob directed Lesco officials while presiding over a meeting of Load Management Committee here.

The Lesco officers briefed the participants about the loadshedding schedule, stating that the city was receiving 1,500MW instead of its actual need of 3,000MW.

They assured the Wasa administration to supply uninterrupted electricity to all tube-wells through separate connections. The DCO directed police to enhance security at all grid stations.

Updated Apr 24, 2013 05:51am

More From This Section

Comments (0) (Closed)