23 August, 2014 / Shawwal 26, 1435
A view of a mosque in Britain's Birmingham.   — File Photo by Reuters
A view of a mosque in Britain's Birmingham. — File Photo by Reuters

LONDON: A mainstream British TV channel said Tuesday it would broadcast the Muslim call to prayer throughout the fasting month of Ramadan.

From July 9, Channel 4 will cut into its schedule to show the three-minute call to prayer, or Azaan, live.

The channel's decision comes as Britain is experiencing community tensions in the wake of the brutal murder of a British soldier.

Two Muslim converts have been charged with the murder.

The number of attacks on Muslims rose sharply after the killing in May and several mosques have been targeted.

As well as on television, Channel 4 viewers will be able to watch the call to prayer on the station's website, where it will play automatically at prayer times throughout the day.

A series of Ramadan-themed programmes will also be shown, starting on July 8.

Ralph Lee, head of factual programming at Channel 4, said: “The calls to prayer prompt Muslims to carry out quiet moments of worship, but hopefully they'll also make other viewers sit up and notice that this event is taking place.”

Nizamuddin Ahmad
Jul 02, 2013 10:33pm

Thank you for your generosity, British people. The memory of the brutality is still fresh in your hearts and mind. I pray to God The Almighty to remove the hate from our hearts. Being a Muslim myself I admit my sorrow. I still remember the hateful face of the killer and I will never forget. The worst thing Muslims will do, " do nothing to stop it ".

a
Jul 02, 2013 11:23pm

John
Jul 03, 2013 03:10am

Muslim appeasement,unnecessary if you read the letters columin today's Daily Mail.

Gerry D'Cunha
Jul 03, 2013 01:10pm

shame on you ch.4 - will you promote your own faith? how many channels in muslim countries promote 'good-friday' 'easter' or 'christmas'?

Yousaf
Jul 03, 2013 01:28pm

I know many Brits that are very unhappy about this. Please stop being in everybody's face with your religion.

a
Jul 03, 2013 08:34pm

@Gerry D'Cunha: You'd be very surprised. Christmas is an official holiday in many countries. Do some research next time.

AK
Jul 04, 2013 04:25am

@Gerry D'Cunha: They talk about Christmas, Easter, etc. all the time.

shukrul wahab
Jul 04, 2013 08:16am

Once again the british took place in the hearts of the people of the world,for showing their generosity.I havn't such a golden words to day thanks the the british govt and british tv for broadcasting adaan. But my prayers will be always for you. THANKS ALOT

Syed
Jul 04, 2013 08:45am

Is it imaginable to have a Christian channel in pakistan to reciprocate the kind act of the Britishers?

S
Jul 04, 2013 11:24am

@Gerry D'Cunha: True, l fail to understand this hypocrisy: fight for equality in every other country and deny non muslims any such right in their own.

Rashid Sultan
Jul 04, 2013 12:55pm

I sincerely hope Channel 4 reconsider this in the interest and safety of Muslims living in Britain. It is not necessary for the channel to broadcast this as a badge to display its 'inclusive' policies. This is more of an unwitting mischievous act that will be counter productive. It will generate more resentment, hatred and fear of Islam amongst the non Muslim population. And majority of peace loving Muslims worldwide do not want this to happen. Please Channel 4, we believe in your egalitarian policies and support of minorities but stick to secular programmes and stay away from religion, especially Islam. Leave the matter to the mosques who are best equipped for the job.

Saad Durrani
Jul 04, 2013 01:50pm

@Gerry D'Cunha: Well, there is Christmas Day programming on some channels here.

Tanveer
Jul 05, 2013 06:28pm

@S:Practice what you preach brother or shall I remind you of our blasphemy laws or shall I apply to you if you are a Shia or a Ahmediya or a Xtian