KARACHI: Banned Pakistan pace bowler Mohammad Asif Wednesday said he was robbed of cash and valuables at gunpoint in Lahore, a claim police have denied.
Asif, who was given a seven-year ban - with two of them suspended - by the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2011 for spot-fixing, said the incident took place near Lahore airport in the early morning.
“Although I have been through a lot in the last two years because of the spot-fixing scandal but this incident was a nerve-wracking one, for one because they pointed guns in my face,” Asif told Reuters.
He said four armed robbers took 92,000 Pakistani rupees ($930), his wallet containing cards, his passport and his expensive watch.
“It was scary and I have filed a report with the police station of the area,” added the 30-year-old.
However, the police by denying the claims by the controversial cricketer, said the incident was a result of a personal dispute and not a robbery. The local police department has lodged a case against Asif for causing damages at a local restaurant.
Asif was released from a British prison in May last year after serving half of a one-year term for his part in bowling deliberate no-balls during a Lord's test against England in 2010.