November 3, 2007
• President Musharraf, in his capacity as the COAS, imposes a state of emergency in the country.
• New Provisional Constitution Order issued, putting constitution in ‘abeyance’. Seven articles of constitution relating to fundamental rights suspended.
• President says he acted after consultations with the PM, corps commanders.
• Lawyers, opposition declare the move ‘virtual martial law’. Many leading lawyers arrested.
• Local and foreign news channels go off air on government’s order.
• Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry, who was reinstated on July 20, removed along with several other judges. All placed under house arrest.
• Before their detention, CJ Iftikhar Chaudhry and a 7-member bench headed by him issue an order to reject PCO and restrain COAS, president, PM and corps commanders from any unconstitutional action.
Nov 4 • CM Punjab Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi justifies emergency rule.
Nov 5 • Benazir Bhutto condemns emergency, rules out talks with Musharraf. • Newly appointed CJP Justice Abdul Hamid Dogar says no restraining order issued by any SC bench.
Nov 6 • PM Shaukat Aziz justifies emergency rule; says elections will be held on time.
Nov 12 • Minister Sheikh Rasheed says Article 58-2(b) to remain forever.
Nov 14 • COAS asks Supreme Court to validate emergency, PCO.
Nov 15 • COAS Musharraf authorises President Musharraf to lift emergency.
Nov 22 • An SC bench headed by CJ Dogar rejects petitions challenging Musharraf’s candidature in presidential elections.
Nov 28 • Gen Musharraf doffs military uniform, takes oath as civilian president.
Dec 14 • Emergency lifted, PCO withdrawn.
Dec 15 • President Musharraf further amends constitution through Article 270(AAA) to indemnify his emergency order.