ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif called for the immediate arrest of the culprits responsible for killing ten foreign tourists and their guide in an unprecedented attack in the Himalayas of Nanga Parbat during a meeting of his government’s federal cabinet on Monday, DawnNews reported.
Earlier on Sunday, Islamic militants disguised as policemen killed ten foreign climbers and their guide in a brazen overnight raid against their campsite at the base of Nanga Parbat, one of the world’s highest mountains, in the scenic Himalayan valley of Bunar Das in Gilgit-Baltistan.
Today’s meeting, which was headed by PM Nawaz, expressed sorrow over the ghastly attack. The routine agenda of the cabinet was shelved to discuss matters relating to the incident.
Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar briefed the cabinet that the terrorists used a local guide to help them get to the foreign tourists’ abode in the mountains where they perpetrated the attack. He added that the guide was under interrogation.
Addressing the cabinet, PM Nawaz said that attacking citizens of friendly countries was a conspiracy hatched against Pakistan at the behest of those who wanted to destroy her, adding that they would not be allowed to become successful in their mission.
Sources told DawnNews that the premier is also expected to address the National Assembly later in the day with regards to the incident.
In related news, the bodies of the foreign tourists and the local guide were identified, officials said Monday.
One was an American with dual Chinese citizenship, three came from the Ukraine, two from Slovakia, two others from China, one from Lithuania and one from Nepal, they said.