The crime that shook Karachi

Published Jun 14, 2013 06:03am

THIS is apropos the murder of my entire family in Askari III Cantt, Karachi, on February 29, 2012. A year has passed since the heinous crime shook the entire Karachi.

My parents, my brother, his wife and my 13-year-old niece were murdered in cold blood by their ex-driver. How I faced the grief and how I lived through it is something beyond my own comprehension.

The episode was beyond belief and the grief was incomprehensible. It took me a whole year to come to my senses. The murderer was caught six days later. He admitted to the crime in front of the police with live coverage on all major channels of the country.

The murder weapon (a knife) was recovered and his fingerprints have been matched on it. His DNA test is positive (as he had taken off his shirt and changed into my brothers).

The stolen jewellery has been recovered from another source who has testified that the murderer had kept the jewellery with him. He was caught because he had turned on my father’s mobile set which was traced with the help of CPLC.

How much more proof does the court need? The case has been going on for over a year in the city court. Our plea for trial in ATC was rejected by the chief justice on the grounds that the matter did not raise enough terror in society.

His counsel argued that he is innocent. He claims that he is innocent, now after a year. After all this proof? This is not a children’s horror story. The way he recounts the details of the night, my mother’s habit of always closing doors, her nature to get up during the night to check on closed doors and to look behind doors

How could he have described the scenes clearly? Even the greatest story teller could not have come up with such vivid details. So how could he? This was not a joke. This was not a simple burglary. It was cold-blooded murder of my entire family. I am terrorised when I think that he can come out of jail and commit the same crime again.

Will another person have to face the same tragedy as I did? I deserve justice. I appeal to the Chief Justice and the president of Pakistan to intervene on my behalf. This murderer has no political backing so there will be no political pressure.

It is unfortunate that our system lets a murderer of five people live in peace in jail. I wish I had created more media hue and cry and come in the limelight more but we were so shattered, so lost. A loss of one’s family members by unnatural death makes the family left behind go crazy with grief.

ZAITOON UMER Karachi

Sindh IG’s removal

THIS is further to the letter ‘Sindh IG episode’ (July 19). The recently removed Sindh IG Iqbal Mahmood was ...

Hamas’s victory!

THANKS to peace-loving Israelis, the Zionist regime is facing stiff resistance at home. On July 26 more than 3,000...

Gaza and US

HOW can the US government criticise or condemn Russia for helping or supporting the rebels fighting in Ukraine who...

Aamir
Jun 15, 2013 11:26pm
Its our Judicial system that needs serious reforms. I am sorry for your loss. No words can take the pain away. My wife left Pakistan for the US with my 3 minor children. I went to our courts for a court order. After one year of attending court dates, the judge told me that the courts don't have jurisdiction. Fake hospital reports of abuse were never questioned. Judge knew fully well that the hospital reports from a shady clinic in Patel Para were fake. My wife was registered at Aga Khan. Absolutely nothing was done. Now am in the US trying to fight my case. Am told I need a court order from my country. Thanks to my country's judicial system, I was denied a court order. Its appalling. My pain is nothing, literally nothing as compared to yours, but justice is constantly denied in our courts. Amazing thing is that my wife hated the CJ and I was his biggest supporter at the time when he was arrested. All I can say is not to loose hope. Be hopeful for the sake of your loved ones who departed. May their souls rest in peace. May you find justice in the land of injustices. My prayers are with you.
independentthinker
Jun 15, 2013 07:32pm
That is the worst possible advise you could have given. First of all, just because someone murdered your family, will not automatically give you the courage to become a murderer yourself. You will just not do that! I believe the game is not over yet! Just wait and be patient. Justice can be delayed - but never denied. You have absolutely no idea what this man is going through. You might think that he is comfortable in the jail - but you are not living his life. I strongly believe in Karma - and what we are able to see with our eyes could be misleading and be totally opposite to reality. We don't know that and therefore, should not judge. It is best if we let nature take its course and stop considering ourselves as victims. Trust me, there is justice in this world - the only difference is that it doesn't come in ways that we want and more often than not, we can't see it with our naked eyes. My advise to you is: Move on and don't let him be a villain in your life any more. Remember, you are only a victim, if you allow yourself to be! May God bless you!
angry
Jun 15, 2013 06:08pm
if there is no justice there is always revenge an eye for an eye and so on.i am a great believer in settling all accounts otherwise. evil will take over.your grief must be unbearable .please get therapy and go after him.he is not invincible .
lailashabeer
Jun 14, 2013 09:01pm
ALLAH KAREEM bless you
Brand Manager of Uth Oye
Jun 14, 2013 02:47pm
Let him walk free. Then take the law into your own hands.
Ali S
Jun 15, 2013 04:28am
My deepest sympathies and condolences to you and your family. But I wonder what caused him to snap in this way? It's also a powerful lesson for us to be very careful with what kind of maids/drivers we employ. There is really no way that one can truly recover from such an experience, but this sorry excuse of a man deserves a death sentence at the earliest possible opportunity before he's a danger to others. I recommend you take your story to a popular media outlet, that seems to be the only way the courts listen these days.
James
Jun 15, 2013 04:43am
Sadly you live in a society with one of the most corrupt judiciary in the world. The military and civilian leadership over the years has given the gift of violence and there is no respect and value of human life. You have 2 options - keep fighting to make it a better place to live and turn your pain into power to bring change or like millions of other fellow Pakistanis do hijrat and make home in another another country.
IBN-E-ASHFAQUE
Jun 15, 2013 02:00pm
The Chief Justice is too busy with fixing Musharraf. He does not have time to provide justice to the very ordinary people of Pakistan.
Sherry
Jun 14, 2013 11:42am
nothing anyone can say will be enough to cure your grievance... this is really shocking beyond words... although bringing the culprit to justice will not bring your family back, its even more terrifying to see him go scott-free or that the court goes easy on him with their sentence... i wish there was something i could say to ease you out of despair... God bless...
Yaseer Khan
Jun 15, 2013 12:07pm
May Allah help you as well as the LOST republic of Pakistan n its people. Justice delayed is justice denied. This is heinous and delaying justice is as bad a crime as the incident. May Allah give u strenth to overcome your trouble.
hamid
Jun 15, 2013 12:36pm
There is nothing much we can say or do to pacify your sufferings .I would not advise you to leave hope from the immoral justice system of pakistan but i must say its time you should start bringing this issue into limelight through proper channels so that person should never be set free .
Paksitani
Jun 15, 2013 12:33pm
Chief Justice you are requested to take notice of this issue. The media is requested to pay attention till the resolution of this issue.
nfhassan
Jun 14, 2013 06:47pm
CJ of Supreme Court is part of this judicial system, you must not expect any more. These judges, policemen and others are cold blooded with no emotions. Have faith on Allah Almighty, and In Shaa Allah you will soon get justice from Allah and these criminals would see the horrible end of life.
Imtiaz Faruqui
Jun 15, 2013 01:38pm
It is very easy to get the illegal things done by paying money, since your case has all the right proofs and no body will make any money from the driver {murdrer} or from you, the case can go in the back of the line.
arif
Jun 15, 2013 03:17pm
my condolences to you brother . this guy should be put to death
Khalid
Jun 15, 2013 03:26pm
I am so sorry to hear this. You should go to all TV stations and tell everybody in Pakistan about the incident and what has (or has not) been done since then by the authorities. I would also suggest that you write to the chief justice of Pakistan about it. I really don't know what else can be done as I am not familiar with the laws and processes involved. How sad. How sad....I was born and bred in Karachi but haven't lived there for over 25 years. This is not my Karachi I grew up in and this is certainly not the Pakistan we would like it to be.
hyderphd74
Jun 15, 2013 04:14pm
Yes, you can say one thing: Do not depend upon courts of Pakistan for justice. The are called 'justices' not because they impart justice but because they make a mockery of justice. These are worse criminals than your driver who committed the crimes. If you want justice, then here is what you can do: Get a gun or better so, hire a professional assassin and finish off the criminal and, as a courtesy to others, take care of the judge/judges who are blocking the justice. Who knows how much money has gone into the bank accounts of the concerned lawyers, the judges, the police etc. You simply are not strong enough to deal with them. When the Supreme Court can disallow the unbeatable evidence of DNA test results in a rape case and wants four eye witnesses then it is "Khuda Hafiz" to justice, the court system and all connected to it. Every rapist has to bring four men along to witness the crime explicitly so the court can be satisfied that the crime was committed by the alleged criminal upon that particular victim. Who on earth has appointed such insanes to the benches? But then money may not be able to buy happiness, it sure can buy every thing else in the land of the Paks. Is it really a "Pak istan" or a stain of the worst kind on the word 'Pak'? The judges do not have any personal grudges (as they have against the ex-president Musharraf) so why should they convict and punish the ex-driver of yours. If he murders and rapes one of the judge's or even lawyers family then and only then the guy will be punished. Take lesson from Gen. Musharraf's case and stop complaining, Sir.
Syed
Jun 15, 2013 04:37pm
Very sad to read that your plea for trial in ATC was rejected by the chief justice on the grounds that the matter did not raise enough terror in society. Five people of a family got killed and chief justice said that it did not raise terror in society how come killing of Benazir only one soul has caused terror in society and that case is now being headrd in anit terroris court (ATC). I beg to cheif justice of Pakistan for God sake do some justice as you are answerable to God. Is Benazir Bhutto life more valuable in the eyes of law as compared to 5 innocents who were murdered inside their own house. If the country's law could not provide justice and can not treat people equally then its better to rewrite the constitution. Make it null and void. I have no respect for such constitution which can not treat all citizens equally.
shahid
Jun 15, 2013 04:43pm
Ah, all the way while reading the narrative until the end I thought the writer was a male since the words are so brave but then it makes it even more forceful for writer being a lady. May Almighty give you justice that you deserve.
SSM
Jun 15, 2013 05:08pm
Dear, don't loose heart and keep up your struggle, for sure the tide will turn your way. More importantly try to find peace and salvation for your self. Never give in !
Karim(USA)
Jun 15, 2013 10:04am
Sorry you have to go through this scary and non human act.The murderer should be killed the same way he hurt your innocent familly member. I know your family cannot be brought back, but this will provide you with some peace. May Allah bless you with calm and peace in your life.
Dr.Nayyer Hasan
Jun 15, 2013 05:09pm
Have faith in Allah.He will listen to you insha allah and he will also give you strength to bear this loss and fight for justice.Our prayers are with you.
Aisha
Jun 15, 2013 08:41pm
Agreed. Wait for him to come out then strike.. Thats what this society now demands and requires.
SBB
Jun 15, 2013 09:35pm
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.. truly tragic when justice is denied. What option do people have but to take matters into their own hands?
Aqw
Jun 15, 2013 10:23pm
Humid Mir and all other media anchors should help you get justice.