A scene from "Seedlings- Lamha".
Group photo of award winners with the Chief Guest.
Minister Dhilan Perera, Minister of Foreign Employment, Promotion and Welfare, Sri Lanka, speaking on the occasion.
Cultural performance during the festival.
COLOMBO: Pakistan won two prestigious awards at the 2013 SAARC Film Festival awards ceremony held at the National Films Corporation Sri Lanka.
Pakistan won awards in the categories of Best Actress and Best Feature Film in this third edition of the annual SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation) Film Festival, which was held from 26 to 31 May.
The film festival focuses on promoting some of the best films featured from 2010 to 2012, screening feature and documentary films made by member states of the SAARC Association such as Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. The films in competition were later adjudicated by an international panel of jury from Singapore, Iran and Russia.
This year’s Best Actress award in SAARC Region went to Pakistan’s Aamina Sheikh, for her role in “Seedlings- Lamha”, which has also won Silver Medal in the category of Best Feature Film of SAARC Region.
The other two nominations were “The Story of a Living Saint” and “A Bike Ride from USA to Pakistan”, which were both competing in the documentary category.
The award-winning 90 minutes feature, “Seedlings”, is directed by Mansoor Mujahid and produced by Meher Jaferi. It chronicles the story of a happy couple whose lives are changed forever after a devastating accident. The circumstances surrounding the tragedy leave the couple besieged with unanswered questions, leading them to re-evaluate their whole approach to life and their mutual relationship.
The ceremony was held under the distinguished patronage of Honourable Minister Dhilan Perera, Minister of Foreign Employment, Promotion and Welfare, Sri Lanka. The Chief Guest congratulated Pakistan for receiving the awards and appreciated the cinematic excellence displayed by the Pakistani presentations.
Final Results: SAARC Film Festival 2013
- Best Actor - Thisal Moragoda – (Mouse) from Sri Lanka
- Best Actress – Aamina Sheikh (Seedlings) from Pakistan
- Trophy for Best Director – Tigmanshu Dhulia (Paan Singh Tomar) from India
- Best Documentary Film – “Cost of Climate Change” – Tshering Penjor from Bhutan
- Best Feature Film Bronze Medal – “Mouse” Directed by Wasantha Moragoda from Sri Lanka
- Best Feature Film Silver Medal – “Seedlings” Directed by Mansoor Munjahid from Pakistan
- Best Feature Film Trophy – Paan Singh Tomar – Directed by Tigmanshu Dhulia from India