The Alexander of Samundri

Updated May 20, 2013 03:36pm

For whom the bell tolls

The 16th day of April 1853 is special in the Indian history. The day was a public holiday. At 3:30 pm, as the 21 guns roared together, the first train carrying Lady Falkland, wife of Governor of Bombay, along with 400 special invitees, steamed off from Bombay to Thane.

Ever since the engine rolled off the tracks, there have been new dimensions to the distances, relations and emotions. Abaseen Express, Khyber Mail and Calcutta Mail were not just the names of the trains but the experiences of hearts and souls. Now that we live in the days of burnt and non functional trains, I still have a few pleasant memories associated with train travels. These memoirs are the dialogues I had with myself while sitting by the windows or standing at the door as the train moved on. In the era of Cloud and Wi-fi communications, I hope you will like them.

enter image description hereSadhar, initially, stood away from the city, distant and disconnected, but as the population exploded, it fell into city precincts. The Sardars who migrated from Sadhar never let it go completely and it now qualifies as a Sikh sub-caste. Leaving Lyallpur and by passing Samanabad, the train halts at Sar Shameer.

A bricked house in the village stands as fresh as an early morning dream. It has been 10 years now but the image of a grey hand pump watering the paved courtyard is etched afresh in memory. The cemented walls of the house perpetually radiate the sadness of impending departure. While a father returns after completing his service, his son goes back to safeguard the land. Once a warrant officer and now a farmer, the silence of this father spoke of his inner conflict. Caught between the pride in his son’s military career and his own failure in passing on the love for his land, a mix of the feelings prevailed, though the orphaned grains sided with the melancholic father.

Sarshmeer was earlier known as Dhoop Sari or the sunburnt. Awestruck with the tragedy of Sahiba’n, the village took after the name of her brother. In 1947, Dada Ghulam Ahmed arrived here from Ludhiana, homeless and broke. The villagers helped him settle in one of the two Sarais, the inns. Abandoned by the immigrating Sikhs, the building was almost a century old and its simple layout reflected the mood of that time; four rooms, a courtyard and an old Keekar tree, which had grown up with almost everyone in the village. The tree had seen the kids toddling, the children growing up, the teens meeting secretly and then marrying off to someone else. Besides many Baraats, it had mourned many funerals and had even burnt for some pyres.

But with Baisakhi, arrived a few old men from Canada and India. They sat under its shade and stared into its branches. Later, when their eyes welled up, they would get up and leave. Before they left, they held the hands of Dada Ji and his son, the headmaster Chacha, with sheer gratitude, and thanked them for preserving their heritage. Dada ji was also greatly attached to the Sarai. Even in his last years, he walked to the Sarai for evening prayers and returned in the morning.

At the age of 104, Dada ji died in 2008 and the Sarai was abandoned for the second time. Months later, under the influence of his sons, headmaster Chacha, decided to demolish the Sarai. When the first hammer head struck the rear wall of the Sarai, many birds flew off from the keekar tree, forever.

The road on this side is embedded with memories. Those Immigrants, who could not bring their memories along, have named the villages as Jalandhar Araian and Jawahar Singh. Similarly, the villages of Theekree walah and Jagat Pur are the tags of the luggage left back home as their namesakes continue to prosper in India. The canals of Rakh Branch and Gogera Branch have distributed the left over villages amongst each other evenly.

After Jaranwala, the train halts at Tandlianwala. Named after Tandal, a local herb, the town lives under the calmness of plants. It is this artistic serenity that incited creative men like Naaz Khayalvi to write his legendry poem “Tum Aik Gorakh Dhandha Ho”.

The track heron, accompanies the road and canal for a while before parting ways. The train takes a dip and with Satiana and Awagat astride, the road leads to Samundari. North of Jaranwala is the village of Suraj Kund, though not as famous and historical as Suraj Kund of Farid Pur, Haryana. The two are separated by a few centuries and a line, frequently fostered by the blood of Sanaullahs and Sarabjeets.

Faisalabad and Jaranawala are not just two different railway lines but carry many differing stories in their folds.

The first one is of Dijkot, historically referred to as “Dich kot”. Raised from an ancient graveyard site, Dich Kot translates into a city inside the fort, but neither the city nor the fort exists anymore. Although the real politick is far more devastating than the ancient armies that marched on the cities, Dijkot had witnessed the wrath of many legions. Alexander’s army and neighboring tribes destroyed it and Chandargupt Moria and Soori Kings brought life back to the city. The British reached here at the twilight of 19th century. They built a hospital, a police station, a post office and hoisted the Union Jack till 1947. Somewhere between the lines, Muhammad Bin Qasim also finds a mention and some locals claim that he was arrested from this very place.

The next one is the story of a police officer’s son. In the Samundari of 1901, Darogha Basheswar Nath was blessed with a boy. Being a police official, he moved around a lot, but the child was kept by the grandfather Keshav Mal, who introduced him to the world of phonetics. When Basheswar Nath was posted to Peshawar and the family shifted to their house in Dhakki Munawwar Shah, the boy also moved from Lahore to King Edward College, Peshawar. By now, his passion for acting had surpassed religious epics so he ended up in the College Drama Club, where a professor was evincing his love with an English lady through dramatics. The classics of Shakespeare had its characters speak for the two. When Othello swore commitment to Desdemona, Jay Dayal spoke his heart and when Portia wept for Bassanio, Nora Richards wiped her tears. Before this love story took a turn, the boy borrowed the money from his aunt and left for Bombay.

enter image description hereHe met Babu Rao Patel here. The one-man movie journo of India’s first film magazine, Babu Rao cast a sarcastic glance and reminded him that there was no place for an uncanny brawny Pathan in this industry. The boy responded,

If there is none, I might have to swim across the seven seas and establish myself there.

But Prithiviraj was saved from swimming that far. From Bombay, he moved to Calcutta and then there was no looking back. His command over the language and unique tone that came with his Hindku accent made him a brand name of success in film and theatre. When Sohrab Moodi’s Sikander was released, the Samundri features of Prithviraj had completely taken over the Macedonian looks of Alexander. Playing Porus, as a hero, for the first time in popular culture, the movie was an instant hit. Fifty years later, while preparing for my civil services exam, I asked Baba, “what did Akbar look like?” and he brought me Khan Asif’s "Moughal-e-Azam".

From Darogha Basheswar Nath, playing the judge in “Awara” to Ranbeer Kapoor as Samer Partap in “Rajneeti”, the first family of the Hindi Cinema has been a part of the Indian daily life since five generations.

In 1995, Prithvi Theatres celebrated its golden jubilee and a postage stamp was issued to mark the occasion. The stamp carried the company logo and an image of Prithviraj without his name. The Kapoors had a reason. Few faces, they believed, were an identity itself.

After almost a century, the Kapoor household in Juhu still burn Peshawari clay in hawans and on turning 100, the Hindi Cinema still begins its history with one signature sentence:

“In the Samundari of 1901, Darogha Basheswar Nath was blessed with a son”.

Muhammad Hassan Miraj is a federal government employee.

More From This Author

Uch Sharif — II

Of these graves, the oldest, belongs to Jalal ud Din Surkhposh. This 14th century father-saint of South Punjab was...

Murder in Rabwah

Dr Mehdi Ali Qamar is today’s count for the self-righteous in Pakistan.

Sami
May 20, 2013 12:17pm

O-Level Students will certainly like this essay.

bikkar sbrar
May 20, 2013 02:22pm

Dear miraj sahib, Today i see a farista in you. "And a line fostered by the blood of sanaullahs and sarabjeets". Only farrista can fathom the pain they have left for us. At the end i salute you my dear farista.

Brar .bs

Naveen
May 20, 2013 02:48pm

Another mesmerising peace of writing

Ahmad Mukhtar
May 20, 2013 02:54pm

Dear Hassan Miraj,

An excellent account of the history of my native area. Very beautifully written and it has convinced me to work on making such facts known and dig out the history of small yet important towns such as Samudri and Dijkot (these were the first cities that my eyes saw).

Bravo and well done.

Ahmad

koi-kon
May 20, 2013 03:30pm

@bikkar sbrar: Thank You Bikkar Saheb. I am honored.

Ali
May 20, 2013 05:30pm

Urdu version of this article mentions 1994 when postage stamp carrying Kapoor image was printed; however, English version says it is 1995.

Khan Wali
May 20, 2013 06:40pm

You have not told the achievements of Alexander of Samundri (Prithvi Raj Kapoor) from 'Sikander' to 'Mughal e Azam'!

Nasir Islam
May 20, 2013 06:57pm

Thoroughly enjoyed your blog Sikandar of Samundri. A couple of years of my boyhood were spent in Tandlianwala, where my father was posted at the police Station. I fondly remember the brick house attached to the Thana where we lived. I was at school in the V or VI class. We used to swim in the canal that skirted the town. My father had retrieved an old bicycle for Rs 10 from the Evacuee Proprty Storage. It must have belonged to some little boy named Pirthwi Raj or Amarjeet Singh. I rode everywhere on this bike. Tandlianwala often brought memories of Fatehabad where we lived in the awful August of 1947. I knew little about the history of Tandlianwala. Going to Lyallpur we used to pass through Samundri and Dijkot. Mirzas of Hansi, friends of my father had migrated to Samundri in 1947. Thanks for sending me down the memory lane.

gulshan sanan
May 20, 2013 07:18pm

A masterpiece of writing Mirjajee. I have become a fan of UR writing . Keep it up. Looking fwd to more of such articles of the era when IND & PAK were one. Thks & regds.

gulshan sanan
May 20, 2013 07:18pm

B R chawla
May 20, 2013 10:05pm

A well written piece of rhetoric. More than any thing to learn of the mention of the name of Tandlanwala where I was born in 1942 and a place that I have nostalgic memories of being known as Tandla. I have a faint memories of our house facing a municipal hospital. A road in front of our house door, a small brick drain and a large Banyan tree under which the children would play bare footed and used the leaves of the tree as shoes while returning home in the scorching heat and wet their scorched feet under a hand pump. Alas it is all lost in the madness of communal madness that engulfed the undivided India to the chagrin of the common man who gets sacrificed for the the cunning leaders. Chawla

Khan of Kalabagh
May 20, 2013 10:11pm

Fantastically Fantabulously written, really the word has lost its relevance for my gratitude for the great writing, Thank You :)

Wonderful, two weeks of patience

sib ahmed
May 20, 2013 10:49pm

Muhammad Hassan Miraj Saheb,

AssalamoAlaikum,

I have read you the first time and sincerity of your expression and the depth of your feelings is inspiring. I wish you God Speed !!

Ilyas

Obed Pasha
May 20, 2013 10:52pm

Wah!

manish jha
May 21, 2013 01:09am

Beautiful account and having never been to Pakistan still i can relate to it. It is our common heritage, our common history and at the most our common family that needs to be given the utmost importance in our education system and media. What is usually preferred by our governments and politicians and common man as well is just opposite. Your account can be an account of any part of our whole region, only the names will change. Thank you and congratulations for a nice article.

SherePunjab Singh SherGill
May 21, 2013 05:18am

Last week I waited for ur article but I think due to elections, we missed it. The office of Sikh Gurudwara management Committee in India is named after late Teja Singh Samundari, a Sikh leader and one of his sons S. Bishan Singh Samundari became first VC of Guru Nanak University Amritsar. Thanks once again for such informative article. As always, I salute u and UR Pen. I congratulate to Janab Nawaz Sharif for winning election and to voters of Pakistan for first fair elections and standing against many odds.

anil tiwari
May 21, 2013 10:47am

Correction....The Suraj Kund in India is at Faridabad, Haryana and not Farid Pur as mentioned. I too love a train journey and in India it is possible to travel log distances by train. My favorite is the Grand Trunk Express or GT Express which run between Delhi & Madras Central. I've known this train for 60 years and it was a pleasure to travel for 3-days in it during our childhood when the 1st Class compartments had a Surahi for cool drinking water,Cane Sofas to relax, attendants in uniform and large bathrooms with showers because the steam engines used to make us black with their soot.

ZIA UR RAHMAN
May 21, 2013 11:23am

I was barely six years old in 1941 when our father, a school teacher, took us to the cinema in Gojra to see Sohrab Moodi

R.Bakhshi
May 21, 2013 12:08pm

Dear Miraj, I read your articles of days gone by and pakistan as it existed before 1947.I am a product of that era(born in Bannu) and have often wondered what was my parents and grand parents life was like then.Your articles give me a glimpse of my past. Unfortunately time can;t be wound back.I have been asked by my friends to visit Pakistan ,but I hesitate,because in my minds eye I wish to preserve,what has long gone.Thank you very much,please do write more about these places and people lomg gone and forgotten.. Bakhshi

Tajammal
May 21, 2013 12:29pm

Please write also something on "Dev of Shakargarh (Dev Anand)" and "Lala of Peshawar (Yousaf Khan i,e Dilip Kumar)"

Faisal
May 21, 2013 12:53pm

Greeat writing.

Koi-Kon
May 21, 2013 11:00pm

@R.Bakhshi: Bakhshi Saheb, I would appreciate if you visit us, be my guest and see the changed world. Though a lot has changed, few smells, sights and sounds have refused to go away

Koi-Kon
May 21, 2013 11:01pm

@SherePunjab Singh SherGill: Teja Saheb will be covered in next episode

dasmir
May 21, 2013 11:35pm

In Your Llyalpur,you write that Teji married Harivanshrai bacchan who taught at Aligarh.That is incorrect.He taught at Allahabad University.Inqilab Ray was name given to his elder son by Harivanshrai Bachan's teacher Amarnath Jha who was Vc of the university.Other brother was named Azad Ray that was also changed on advice of friend and poet Sumitranandan Pant.

Khan Wali
May 22, 2013 12:30pm

I met Shashi Kapoor (youngest son of Prithvi Raj Kapoor) during his visit to Peshawar to see his birth place. A bulky man now, was a smart hero in his films. He also played childhood character of his eldest brother Raj Kapoor in film 'Awaara', in which his father also performed.